- It’s a huge no-no to identify anyone as participating in Wicca. Wiccans are still subject to persecution and prejudice. It may seriously harm someone to share this information with even one person.
- Don’t assume that since some people know Jane Doe is a Witch, everyone does. A Witch may “come out of the broom closet” to only certain people.
- If by accident, something you say may have tipped people off, tell the Witch involved as soon as possible exactly what was said. She may want to do damage-control. Or she may laugh it off. But she deserves the opportunity to choose.
- Don’t proselytize. You can tell people about it if they ask. But no religion benefits by being forced down people’s throats. This is basic Wiccan etiquette, that all religions would be smart to follow.
- Be aware of the “space” you are taking up. For most men, this can mean moderating the volume and intensity of your voice, leaving equal time for other people to speak, not interrupting or ridiculing, using gentle body-language, and sharing leadership and decision-making. For most women, this can mean taking the risk to speak out, to stand up for what you believe, to honour your needs, to meet the challenge of owning your power.
Wicca Altar Etiquette
Wiccan etiquette around altars is especially important. A Wiccan altar is sacred space, and ritual tools are highly attuned to the person using them. So there are some basic guidelines for good conduct that you need to be aware of.
- You don’t need to let anyone touch your sacred items. If you trust them, and if you are confident that they have positive energy and won’t put yucky things into your rituals tools, you may let them if you wish.
- Just because you’ve said yes once, doesn’t apply to any other time or place. You are under no obligation to let them handle it again.
- Never touch someone’s altar or ritual items. If you are close to them, or you Circle together, it’s okay to ask if you can hold it.
- Interpret any hesitation as a “no.”
- And gracefully accept a “no.” It may not be anything personal. Some things are simply too private to share.
- Ask before placing things on a group altar. Usually for group work, you will know ahead of time the kinds of things that might be appropriate. But sometimes very specific energy is being raised, and other items may not serve the ritual.
- Avoid talking about your sacred items and spiritual practices with “outsiders.” People who don’t use them don’t understand, and it dilutes your Power to share sacred things with them. Especially if they turn out to be judgemental about it.
Wiccan Etiquette For Magick Spells
These magick tips are good Wiccan etiquette . . . but not because they are taboo. These are safety guidelines for spell casting. To ignore them is to harm yourself and others.
- Never do a magick spell that seeks to control anyone else. That includes spells you think are for their own good. (This puts a damper on most love spells.)
- Only cast a spell for another person if they have asked you to do so. And then only the spell they’ve asked for.
- The exception to the prior 2 tips is when you have spiritual authority for another’s well-being. For example, animals or children under 12 who are under your care. But even so, check carefully to make sure what you are planning is aligned with Divine will.
- Remember the Wiccan Rede . . . “Do as you will, and harm none.”
- Think through the repercussions. Don’t do large-scale magick recklessly. Weather magick will change the natural pattern . . . You could be responsible for far-off droughts or floods, or serious disruption of local weather patterns.
- Be respectful of others; don’t do magick in public. Your magick-making should take place somewhere other people are not likely to interrupt you, and your spells are best kept out of sight. This is partly a matter of respect for others’ space. And partly to keep your magick spells strong and on-focus.
- Clean up your magickal residue. Release the directions and deities, erase signs and symbols, and open the circle before you leave.
If you follow these Wiccan etiquette tips, you will be a respectful and responsible Witch that people will be happy to have around!