You can enhance your psychic awareness by developing the use of your five senses.
People often refer to “gut feelings, or instincts.” This is a sense of knowing what cannot easily be rationally expressedor intellectually confirmed. People are often heard to say things like, “I knew I should have done that” and there is usually an overriding feeling of something being either right or wrong, without having a specific reason for it. Where does this feeling come from? Is there an innate psychic or intuitive faculty from which we could all benefit? How do we access it?
Awaken Your Senses
Psychic sensitivity is not based on some obscure formula known to a few privileged people; on the contrary, you already have every ingredient you need in your five senses. Every second of the day, you’re absorbing a changing blend of aromas, flavors, sounds, sights, and textures. The process is so automatic it’s easy to take for granted but without your senses you would literally be “dead” to the world. This is the polar opposite of a psychic’s experience of life, where everything is vivid, sensuous, and alive with meaning.
People who are unusually sensitive can perceive atmospheres, feel invisible presences, see visions, hear messages, and experience reality on many different levels. With a little practice, you’ll be able to do all this yourself.
Five sensational days
*Exploring your senses to their limits takes time, space, and imagination. It also requires the ability to focus: a simple way to achieve this is to allot an entire day to discovering a single sense. Then, at the end of that day, write up your experiences in your psychic journal.
*Note down your reactions to any incident, exercise, or experiment that gave you positive feedback, and made an active difference to your sensory awareness.
*Pay attention to the exact quality of your reactions; notice whether you felt excited, calmed, aroused, amused, inspired; or frightened, uneasy, curious, or repelled.
*Each day’s events may also trigger a special chain of association in your mind: for example, a fleeting scent, a fading color, a grain of wood–any of these can release a flood of memories.
*You may remember people and places that you had long forgotten. Again, write everything down; all these links will lead you toward enhanced psychic awareness.
A Day of Vision
Ideally, you should choose a day that has a full moon on the same evening. As soon as you wake up, tell yourself out loud: “Today I am going to look closely at everything around me.” This triggers your visual awareness and prepares your intuition for action. As you go through your day, look at everything with the candid gaze of a child–try to see things just as they are. Look at objects, buildings, colors, people’s faces, animals, and plants with new eyes. Don’t spend time “evaluating”–simply look. This way, you’ll take in more visual messages, as you won’t be censoring or rejecting anything. At some point in the day, try one of the “gazing” exercises described below.
How to enhance your psychic sight.
1. Choose a quiet, dimly lit place, and light a candle. Place it on a table, and sit down, facing the candle. Get yourself quietly relaxed.
2. Gaze into the candle flame, staying relaxed and calm, watching the flame.
3. Now, focus your gaze at the place where the blue color of the flame meets with the gold–this is the point where your potential for psychic sight can be developed. Continue gazing at this spot until you feel you have absorbed enough.
See a new vision in the full moon.
1. Find a quiet place to relax and look up at the full moon; allow your gaze to become completely absorbed by the moon’s light.
2. Next, close your eyes, and note the intense blue image imprinted on your retina. Draw this blue color toward you, and use it to visualize yourself.
3. If there is no full moon, you could try gazing briefly into a 100-watt lightbulb; but you should never look into the full glare of the sun, as this could damage your eyesight.
A Day to Follow Your Nose
The moment you wake up, say out loud: “Today I am going to experience as many different smells as possible.” This message will literally put you on the scent; follow your nose through the day, and notice every aroma–starting with the smells of your morning toast and coffee. Be alert to everything–fumes from traffic; smells from coffee shops and restaurants; the waft of perfume from a passer-by. Sniff your newspaper, and breathe in the smell of a leather wallet. This prepares your psychic antennae for action, as the first hint of an invisible presence may be a certain smell. A faint, old-fashioned scent could be a link with a departed grandmother, and a pungent whiff of tobacco may announce a man who always had a pipe with him when he was alive.
What’s That Smell?
This exercise can be very revealing.
1. Ask a close friend to make up a “sampler” tray: it could include things like a lemon, furniture polish, starch, stationary, spices, mothballs, a smelly insole, and an overripe piece of cheese.
2. Keep your eyes closed or blindfolded, and smell each item individually. Take time to experience each scent–it’s just as important to identify what feelings are evoked in you as it is to identify the source of the smell.
A Day to Listen Closely
Your wake-up message for your listening day says: “Today I’ll keep my ears open and hear what the world really sounds like.” You may think this is easy, but you’re probably unaware of how much sound you automatically block out. This form of “natural selection” is a survival mechanism, helping you to focus on the important signals around you. One of the first signs of stress is the inability to cope with a constant bombardment of grating and discondordant sounds, and censoring these helps you to stay calm and balanced. You can use a consciously selective approach and focus on different sounds, as if they were separate notes in a piece of music. Turn the day into your private musical with tunes made up from varying notes: automobile horns, ringing telephones, beeping vehicles, hissing coffee machines, clacking cups and saucers, whirring elevators, a slammed door, sudden shrieks, barks, and laughter.
Listen to the Birds
Here’s how to follow each part of a symphony of bird song.
1. Find an outdoor space, where there are plenty of birds–this could be a public park or in your garden.
2. Sit quietly relaxed, listening to the medley of birdsong around you. At some point you’ll distinguish one song from the others. Focus on this, and spend time listening to it.
3. Now let the song of this bird take you to another’s, and listen to this for a while. Again, you’ll find that you’re naturally drawn to the next bird in line. Listen intuitively to each song, sensing the essence within each.
A Touchy-Feely Day
In the morning, look at yourself in the bathroom mirror and announce: “Today I will live each moment through my hands.” Let your fingers tingle in anticipation and start from home: run your hands over the surface of your skin and through your hair; feel your bath towel; touch the cool porcelain of your bathtub; note the slick sensation of a plastic toy; and feel the bristles of your toothbrush with your fingertips. Throughout the day, make a point of touching as many different textures as possible–smooth, furry, silken, rough, warm, cold–and notice all the different sensations you experience, both positive and negative.
A Guided Tour
This journey starts with a simple touch.
1. Ask someone who knows you well to pick out a distinctively texturized object for you.
2. Close your eyes and ask your friend to place the item in your hands; as you explore it, talk about the places it evokes. It may take you into a garden from childhood, onto a beach, or somewhere you’ve never been before.
3. Visualize yourself there. Explore your surroundings throroughly and pay attention to everything that you see. If there are people or animals, how you do feel about them? When you’ve completely absorbed the feeling of the place, open your eyes.
Tasting the Day
If you like eating and drinking, you’ll probably enjoy spending an entire day in an extended tasting session. But you should still alert your taste buds first thing in the morning by saying: “Today I’ll pay close attention to everything that I taste.” This starts from the moment the flavor of toothpaste floods your mouth; you may follow that with a swirl of mouthwash. What do these flavors evoke? Cool mints? Spicy cloves? Cinnamon? Consider the flavor of everything you put in your mouth. And explore unfamiliar things–for example, if you want to give your taste buds a real shock, touch the end of your tongue with a metal coin.
Use this subtle method to tune your senses and taste the air around you.
1. Sit in a quiet, airy place and relax.
2. Breathe slowly and regularly, then open your mouth slightly. Let the air around you flow into your mouth.
3. Focus on the taste of the air, and open yourself completely to whatever you’re sensing. You’ll be surprised at how much information you’ll receive this way.
Finally, it’s time to consider what you have learned about yourself and your abilities and how you may use your newfound knowledge in the future. In this chapter, you will have the opportunity to examineyour responsibilities for using your intuitive gifts. You can begin to think of how you may keep yourself in tune to best meet this responsibility. Remember, helping others and continuing to learn more about your gifts is a part of your psychic responsibility!
What Have You Learned?
You have now had a chance to learn about and try many different psychic techniques. You have been shown how to identify and understand the intuitive gifts that you were born with and that you may already have been using throughout your life. You have developed ways to be in tune with your internal and external guidance systems. You may have been able to meet and identify your guides, angels, or other spirits that are there to help guide and protect you. You have also learned about the importance of staying grounded in the universal light.
You know of the possibility that you have a soul map to follow for growth during this lifetime, and you can now work with your Belief System. You have had a chance to compare yourself to the pros, and you have found that maybe your psychic ability is as good as theirs. Finally, you have had the opportunity to try and to experiment with many different types of psychic techniques and tools. By now, I hope, you have a good basic concept of your psychic strengths.
Staying on Course
Your next step is to decide what to do to continue your psychic development. The goal of this book is to help you identify your intuitive strengths. Now that you have had that chance, you have a wonderful opportunity to become in tune with your life map and your soul’s journey. It is time to decide how you will put your psychic abilities to work. After all, it is part of your life plan.
You have probably been focusing your unconscious and your Universal Mind on the lesson of each chapter as you have gone through this book. Now focus on your internal and external guidance systems to let your psychic abilities become in tune with your life purpose.
An Exercise to Help You Find the Way
You can use your basic self-hypnosis technique to work with your unconscious and your Universal Mind to help determine the direction your psychic gifts will take. Find your comfortable place, loosen your clothes, take a deep breath, exhale, and relax. Focus on your third eye and let your eyes close. Continue breathing in and out slowly while you begin to work your way down through your chakras, opening and balancing each one until you return to your crown chakra. Now focus on the Universal Energy of peace and love as you begin to surround yourself with the Golden Light of the Universe. You may feel it wrapping around you like a protective bubble of golden love and peace.
When you are ready, slowly count yourself down from five to zero, focusing more and more on your connection to your Belief and your guides or angels. Use your self-hypnosis anchors to help deepen your trance and strengthen your connection to the Universal Mind. When you arrive at zero, take some time to reflect and enjoy the loving and peaceful energy of your universal connection.
Connect to Your Belief
Now ask your Belief to help you determine the way your psychic gifts should be used to benefit mankind. You may ask your guides or angels or other spirits to communicate with you in a way that you will recognize and understand. Ask that you may use this information to help you become in tune with your life map. Now give yourself a little time to be open for guidance and then suggest that after you count yourself back up to five that you will remain open to the messages and guidance from the Universe.
Once you have counted yourself back to five and have come back to the surface of your mind, you can prepare yourself for guidance from your inner and outer team. As you have learned, that guidance may manifest itself in many different ways. It may come from inside yourself or from something you hear from someone else. You may hear it more than once.